By now you can probably tell that the weather is changing to a more cooler temperature in certain parts and it is now time to change up our hair care routines to keep our kinky Afro textured hair happy, moisturized and retaining length.
So you may notice that your hair gets drier faster than during the summer or spring seasons.If this is the case, then you should:
* Moisturize more often and/ or seal your ends with a heavier oil or butter than you already use. By doing this, you can give your hair the consistent moisture and nutrients it will need to strive and continue to retain length.
* Keep your hair covered with satin/ silk lined hats, beanies and scarfs. This will protect against weather damage such as wind and coldness that can strip the hair of oils, which will cause dryness which leads to breakage.
* Make sure that you always, ALWAYS, sleep with your ends covered by a satin pillow case or a satin bonnet. This will allow your hair to absorb the moisture that you put in. Cotton will suck the moisture up, so that your hair will not.
* Make sure to line your hats, jackets and other things with satin or silk if your hair will be sliding across it. You want to reduce the amount of snagging of your ends so that you can retain length.
* This is a great season to sport a protective style and hide your ends. Protective styles like french braids, kinky twists, flat twists, two strand twists tucked and pinned, full head weave (watch the edges), wigs and lace fronts.
* Conditioner only washing (Co-washing) more often will also give your hair more moisture to stand the cooler temperatures.
* Deep conditioning more often during the colder seasons helps to give your hair more strength to fight the harsh weather.
* Pre-poo before every wash. This will also give your hair added moisture to combat dryness and weather.
* Layering your sealing oils and/ or butters is also a great way to protect your hair and seal in the moisture for days.
I hope that you can benefit from some of these tips and hope that your kinky Afro textured hair is happy and retaining length (Because it is growing )
Please feel free to leave comments on tips and ways that you are changing up your routine. Have a blessed day in Christ!