I wanted to go over some basic tips for us kinkies. These tips are the basics, but we always need to be reminded.
1. Never dry your hair with a bath towel, use an old white t-shirt.
2. Pre – poo as often as possible
3. Always apply a leave-in conditioner to your hair after washing it.
4. Try to finger comb/ part your hair as often as possible, less manipulation = less breakage.
5. Always detangle the hair when wet and loaded with conditioner. Use your fingers and then use a wide toothed comb, or tangle teezer, or denman brush.
6. Always protect your hair at night with a satin bonnet or satin/ silk pillowcase.
7. Apply your conditioner starting with the ends of the hair.
8. Always seal the moisture into your hair with a natural oil, starting with the ends.
9. Keep your ends tucked away as often as possible in a protective style. This will help you retain length.
10. Give your hair some TLC. Be very careful with it, as it is fragile.
11. Your hair grows from the inside out, so drink enough water everyday and don’t forget those green vegetables and fruit.
12. Moisturize your hair as often as needed. Don’t let your hair reach the dry, crunchy stage.
13. Keep a spray bottle around with distilled water, your favorite conditioner or vegetable glycerin and your favorite oils in it to keep your hair moisturized.
14. Water is the best moisturizer for your hair and scalp.
15. Wash your hair at least once a week. A clean scalp leads to maximizing your hair growth.
16. Only use bobby pins that have the cushion tip on them, when the tips fall off, the hair can be snagged and snapped off.
17. Be confident in yourself and your hair.
18. Always use a water-based moisturizer to moisturize your hair.
19. If you are going to wear hats, line them with silk or sating to prevent your ends from snagging in the inside.
20. You do not always have to wash your hair with shampoo, you can co-wash as often as you want to. But if you use products that cause build up, you should shampoo as needed.
21. When taking a shower, let the mist hit your hair to add softness and moisture to it, then seal the moisture in with some Coconut oil.
22. Try not to use any heat on your hair. Let the air dry your natural hair. If you don’t want to fight with shrinkage, then flat twist, two strand twist, band or braid the hair and let it dry in that state. You will get a nice look too.
23. Things that work for other people, will not always work for you. Find what works for you best and stick with it.
We have to make sure that our routine is consistent and that we stick to what works for us.